Saturday, January 07, 2012

Artists Journals, Visual Diaries and Sketchbooks

I have used many different mediums in my sketchbook and today I finished the final page with a purple biro, Intense Ink pencils and white acrylic. I am looking forward to more grounding in 2012 with more time in my artist journals. I have been inspired by several books I have purchased on the topic and intend to document more of the life around me in my sketchbook journals. I have found the IPad so useful for quick photos that can be used to sketch from and taking more videos of the kids that would not have eventuated. My head is bursting with ideas for fun visuals for my journals.

The sketchbook Project has been an invaluable exercise for me as I did play around with media that I would not normally and discovered all sorts of creative ways to express visually. I am taking what I discovered into my work and journals this year and am excited about what will be created form this. I really try to sketch or paint a little (or a lot) every day. It is a form of meditation and reflection in a world FULL of noise, clutter and nonsense. I hope I may have inspired you to do more yourself with my playful pages of the now completed sketchbook.

This coming week I have to do the cover and sent it off to the US. A little sad at saying goodbye to hours of whimsical pleasure on paper but delighted to share it with others and hopefully inspire playfulness in the people who see it. Our old dog Conan made it on the last page. I will be printing this one off to add to my own personal journal. Poor old boy, his time is limited.
My last page for The Sketchbook Project 2012

4 comments:

BlackPumpkin said...

Lovely!

jasperandblue said...

love the drawing... I too have to get my sketchbook in the mail... cover ??? omg forgot about that

Cindy D. said...

Terrific sketch of a very cute dog. The pencils and white acrylic are a really nice effect. Congratulations on finishing the sketchbook!

Kayleen West - Children Writer/Illustrator said...

Thanks for your comments. I like working on tones backgrounds. I have just finished the cover (sorry to hear you forgot Jasperandblue - there is always next year). I did video it but my Ipad battery went flat half way through!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog