Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Sketchbook Project 2012 pages 31-32

The Sketchbook Project 2012 pages 31-32

This is perhaps my favourite but unfortunately it did not scan nor photograph very well. It started out a random splashing around of paint and I had a great time creating this scene from Little Red Riding Hood. Perhaps a little too scary for littlies but I had fun with and may do another version later. I have nearly filled my sketchbook and just as well. It is due at the end of January so I better get moving with the last few pages and cover. I might film the cover and pop it on YouTube (something I have not done before now). This little painting will be a little hard to separate from. It is the perfect subject for this week’s IF theme "Messenger".

6 comments:

Leen Christens said...

Fantastic, it looks heavy at first but you've captured the fear of little red very good with the dramatic background and colors. She knows something is out there ... :)

Reg said...

That's an awesome painting. I'm participating in the sketchbook project as well but have only 1 page filled out so far =| what medium did you use on this? Looks like the paper's taking all that paint well :)

heidialdin said...

I don't think it's too scary. I love the deep blood red atmosphere of the forest. Simply lovely!

Ann Pilicer said...

I think it is just perfect. Love the darkness and the face expression on Red! Wonderful! well done! :D

josh pincus is crying said...

very cool. one's illustration can never have enough blood.

Kayleen West - Children Writer/Illustrator said...

Leen thanks for your comment. I really wish it had scanned better as it is cleaner but yes heavy. I wanted to create tension in the story and I think it did that but with kids you have to watch it is not too scary and I wasn't sure if it was.

Reg great to hear from another SBP2012 participant. You have a few pages to get through then! I used acrylic on this one. The paper took it but it does buckle with paint though. I wish they used better paper seeing it is something we would want to last a long time. I think the books will have a temporary lifespan.

Thanks for taking a look Heidiadin and Ann I will pop over to check out your blogs too.

Josh do you know the splatters of red do look bloody and was what I noticed as I posted it and why I thought - yew a bit much for little kids. It was unintentional and I wasn't thinking blood at the time but it does work with creating concern for Red Riding Hood for sure.



 
The Positive Spirit Blog