Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Sketchbook Project 2012 pages 21-22


I am getting closer to finishing my little sketchbook for The Sketchbook Project 2012 which is a good thing as the deadline is drawing closer. I did these couple of sketches at the Lilydale Lake during a bit of quiet time. I had been very unwell and hardly slept and needed to start the day quietly. I played some beautiful worship songs on my car radio and sat in the heated car in front of the playground for inspiration.

The second illustration was a random doodle which started out with a few shapes from the playground. I decided not to duplicate but be inspired by play equipment and think up my own version of a fun time for kids. The ears on the first face are concaved and covered with a clear Perspex window where the kids can sit in and play with plastic coloured balls. The area goes all the way through the eye section (where they use the pupils as steering wheels) out the other ear. The kids can slide into the mouth and use them as a cubby house area. The rope course looks like earrings a bit. I would like to explore this illustration further too I think.
The Sketchbook Project 2012 pages 21-22

You will probably find that there will be additional detail added to my sketches by the time the book is finished. I have a hard time leaving them alone. At the end I might put up a page for alterations and works I do from the original sketches in the book. I was contemplating using the playground sketch as a base for my cover which I want to paint in colour with more detail. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Vicki a.k.a. Jarm said...

I've said a prayer for you Kayleen...that God will give you the strength you need to complete the tasks He has ordained for you...

Blessings! Jarm ( I am now using my first name with all literary connections. My dear father, who died when I was four, named me: Jarmila Victoria. It is the feminine of his name: Yaro Victor, which is Czech.). For years, my mother has called me Vicki....but, it's time for a change!

Kayleen West - Children Writer and Illustrator said...

I love the name Jarmila Victoria, it sounds feminine too - very beatiful. Thank you for your prayers too my friend and if you are local anytime you are most welcome to join in on an interactive bible study LOL

I often play a Christian audio while I work or music. It is one way I time manage what is important to me.

randomrose said...

I think anything you share with us is a bonus. Can't wait to see your sketchbook on show.



 
The Positive Spirit Blog