Monday, November 07, 2011

New Children's Picture Book Illustration with Stripes


My new little fella just heard his friends yelling for help.
I have to get you up to speed on my first book. For those who don’t know (that will be most of you) I have done oil illustrations for a children’s picture book called Adoptive Father. I had them scanned the other day and when I got the images back to the computer I sat there thinking “Oh I could just add this, do a bit of that, perhaps a touch of this…” I am itching to take them into Photoshop and work them some more. It has been months since I started the book and now I feel I could make just that bit better. Just when I thought I was ready for print! I will have to be quick about it as the printing is being organised very soon! To be continued.

I post pretty regularly but still I think of a trillion things I could share during each week. Typing them all out is the issue. I simple don’t have time but I will try to give you the best bits.

This week I got loads done both sorting and catching up with the boring office work and the fun stuff like writing and illustrating. I finished a watercolour and gauche children's illustration for my portfolio. It is a character I am developing for a picture book manuscript I am working on. The only problem is that the frog is not in scale (something I will rethink when I get into it). I was very naughty getting caught up in the yummy details of our Australian bush and forgetting this tiny fella would be smaller than the trees and fungi in the illustration. Nerveless I had a ball and have something for IF's theme of ‘Stipes’ this week. I may have made up for last week's dodge on the theme ‘Scary’ too.

13 comments:

erin said...

He's very cute, love his striped sweater.

Beth Anne Maresca said...

Great illustration! Congratulations on your book! Very exciting!

Deina said...

Totally lovin' the 'shrooms! ;)

Cindy D. said...

Super congratulations on your book! Love all your Australian bush details, even if the scale is not what you intended. Such a great style.

caela said...

awwwwww hes sooo cute :) i love the darker lines to make him bounce off the page and his brightky coloured jumper :)

Hannah Sommerville said...

Congratulations! I love the trees in this illo :)

coralmoonstudios said...

great! congratulations!

Vicki a.k.a. Jarm said...

Kayleen...thanks for your honesty in your comments about angels on the PiBoIdMo page...I agree! I love your illustrations and witness on your site. I will remember you if I am allowed to choose an illustrator for my PB if and when it is published...blessings!

Kayleen West - Children's Writer & Illustrator said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Vicki thank you for commenting on that post. It was not easy to step up like that but I felt led to so I did. I truly believe God rewards those who do his will regardless of how it looks at the time.

God aside as a mother of young ones I would love to see more child innocent stories anyway. It is tough one in an industry that appears dominated by a Harry Potter type influence and M rated media.

I don't wish to talk against anything but prefer to encourage what I believe to be wholesome.

Leen Christens said...

I just flew over from Wawe, you're blog is so lovely! Love the work I've seen. Lots of fun and success working on your book!! This little character is adorable!!

Kayleen West - Children Writer and Illustrator said...

Leen it took me a while to work out what Wawe was. I assume you mean Watercolour Wednesdays?

Leen Christens said...

Hey Kayleen, Yes is 't from Watercolor Wednesdays!! :o)

AtelierBrigitte said...

What wonderful illustrations you create - love them!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog