Thursday, July 28, 2011

Going gaga over my Dummy - Creating a Dummy Book

How cute are Dummy books? I think I have a fetish for them. They come under the category of sketchbooks and for me sketchbooks are like good dark chocolate – YUMMY! I don’t know what it is about them, but if I even get the slightest glimpse of one, I have to have a peek.  I get a super kick from every little creation in them. I have a stack of them and they hold memories, experiences and random creations I could never have time to explore totally. Nor could I retain these images in my mind or have the time to explore every one fully. They are raw engaging little gems to me. I love browsing other illustrators working drawings. My personal sketchbooks hold experiences long forgotten, people, places, moments with children now grown and unique character creations which would never have surfaced if not for the scribbles in opportune times. I am digressing or pondering too long. Back to the dummy book…

 
Today I put together a black and white printed dummy for the book I have almost finished. I worked almost through the night last night on the book as I was extremely excited as I get nearer the end. Now you make a dummy? I hear you say. Let me explain. I wanted to see how the book was coming together as a whole at this stage so I could re-determine sketches for a few pages I was being particularly careful with. One in particular is an important page in the book and I need to get it spot onto the initial vision I had for it. I also wanted to check the page turning. This book has been quite organic in its evolution. I have altered the layout quite a few times as I was painting the finished oil paintings. They seem to evolve more as I paint. As I love to peek other people’s dummies and sketchbooks I thought I would return the favour.

4 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Cool :)
You're no Dummy! Maybe call it a proof..?

Kayleen West - Children's Book Illustrator said...

The industry named it a Dummy not me. It is not quite a prrof either as it is far feom the completed book with a few illustrations still to do. Maybe call it a Droof?

Sally said...

How about calling them Books That Will Be?

ruth said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!

I'm glad my post was helpful. I totally understand about changing one's mind/not being happy with things and wanting to start over!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog