Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Double for my trouble - Finishing double page spreads

I can’t tell you how good it feels to see a book taking shape. There is something so exciting about colourful a freshly painted illustration that just makes me eruption with joy. I love my work and I love seeing each painting unfold ready for little eyes to enjoy. After a very long day yesterday I was relieved to get a finish on 2 double page spreads today. I finished one I started yesterday and one I painted last week. I also made progress on one I put aside at the beginning. It is hard to stop once I get going and all my errands and intentions went out the door today as I drew closer to finished artwork. 

The photo I took shows you the 2 finished illustrations on my drawing board. The paintings are oil on canvas and are taped to the board when I paint. When finished I peel off the tape leaving a crisp edge and a better idea of how the page will present. 

This week I really had to get some work done. I was like a bear with a sore head with all the interruptions and demands on me over the past few weeks. I have had tradesman everywhere over the past few weeks and plenty of disruption. One the good side I do have much needed improved lighting in my studio. Now I have a bit more of the book done I feel sane once again.

2 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

you'd be quite a bear! Glad things are settled more now :)

Kayleen West - Children's Book Illustrator said...

Greg lets just say I am an impressive bear LOL. I only need to qrowl. I don't bite (although hubby is quite tasty)and I really need to hibernate at times. Things are not really settled but I chose to let everything else wait while I painted this week. I needed to catch up.



 
The Positive Spirit Blog