Monday, April 04, 2011

Artists Duet for a Special Birthday Gift

Trying to manage my work wish list is a challenge. This afternoon I finished an illustration for a painting friend's 50th birthday. I belong to a group of professional artists called Valley 10 who have been meeting monthly to critique and encourage each other for over a decade now. On occasions have painted together locally and on holidays and shared our lives with one another. We decided some time ago to put together a collection of paintings for one another's big "0" birthdays. I received a framed collection for my 40th birthday and now it is my turn to create a painting for Julie's birthday. 
 The other day it dauned on me, that perhaps I could combine this painting into a theme challenge for Illustration Friday. Additionally if painted in watercolour I could share it with my fellow illustrators on Watercolour Wednesdays.
This week's them challenge for Illustration Friday is Duet so it was appropriate for me to do an illustration of myself and my friend painting together. It was great getting out the watercolours again. Such a lovely medium to work with.

12 comments:

Cindy Paul said...

This really is charming along with the story. I love the warm wall colors and the arm around the friend. Wonderful.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Hello Kayleen, Please send me your email address again and I will send you the invite again so that you can post your wonderful work at Watercolor Wednesdays.
oohlaladesignstudio@gmail.com is my email address. I will send it as soon as I hear from you.
Thanks so much
Vanessa Brantley-Newton
Assistant Admin for WAWE

Beth Anne Maresca said...

This is really so, so lovely!

Hannah Sommerville said...

How lovely. I love all the details including the background. Very well done :)

Jack Foster said...

This is so wonderful Kayleen! I'm sure your friend will love it. Happy birthday to them and a big hello from Chicago! God bless!

Patti said...

very sweet!

Kayleen West - Children's Book Illustrator said...

Thanks everyone. It was fun painting it I must admit. Vanessa thank for joining me up. I have posted finally!

tamaracampeau said...

great work ! so adorable

Sarah Melling said...

Lovely story behind this; and your friendship comes across in this adorable piece!

Amalou said...

I think you've just hit three birds with the one stone! Beautifully done too.

Indigene said...

Wonderful color, idea and energy!

theartofpuro said...

Adorable!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog