Saturday, March 05, 2011

Experimenting with simplistic children's illustrations


This illustration is suited for a gift card perhaps?
Experimenting in Photoshop this morning I messed around with a little bee I sketched out last night while watching T.V. I decided to set a task of making little bugs out of a thimble shape. I ended up rounding out the bee shape. The next page in my sketch book I played around with stylised trees. I am trying to experiment with more simplistic, child-like illustrations. 

I just missed the deadline for IF for "swarm" and this week it is warning. I have an idea for that theme but in the meantime all I will say is that if I have any more interruptions this week there will be a big WARNING sign on my studio door "DO NOT ENTER ". I have had sick kids home this week and lost a great deal of working time through computer troubles. I am looking forward to more studio time next week. I am off to visit a children’s exhibition at the Maroondah Gallery this afternoon and really looking forward to that.

All has not been lost as I have managed to clean up a lot on my computer. My emails were the big one. I have filed the lot now and that was no small task. I also have started organising my mailing lists properly and sorting my contact files better. I am trying to learn Access so I can utilise that program as I know it will help my business. In the meantime I am using Excel for a lot of my business notes etc.

10 comments:

thedoodlegirl said...

Wonderful illustration!! Sorry about your sick kids. That is so hard. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Fallingladies said...

I love this painting! especially since I love bees anyway...

Jack Foster said...

Oh my goodness. Those bees are adorable! Great colors and characters Kayleen!

Hannah Sommerville said...

I like this one. Very cute and creative :)

Sympathy for The Devil said...

hello there, i read your comment on Watercolor Wednesday, im so sorry i come so late: it is digital :))

i like playing with textures on Photoshop although i suck at this medium :((

Sympathy for The Devil said...

im not sure where to leave comment, im kinda lost in your blogs :)
im so sorry, i hope you'll read this comment?

Kayleen West Cavill said...

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to comment. The kids are back at school and so I am firing on all cylinders again. Sympathy it is digital. I sketched it up first then free-hand sketched it in Photoshop and coloured it on several layers. No special brushes - just a round brush with different opacity settings to suit the layer. Keep practising. I am still learning too. In fact the bees were another experiment. I always read my comments and try responding asap so if you need to ask anything, feel free :-)

Cindy Paul said...

Really cute bees. I like the style. Also glad to hear the kids are feeling better. I know that is always worrisome (and time consuming).

tricky said...

awww ... faces of those bees are so precious! and each one is different :)
beautiful illustration

Life's Beautiful Path said...

Kayleen, thanks! Everytime I read your blog post, I learn something.



 
The Positive Spirit Blog