Thursday, January 20, 2011

Journey to Children's Illustration - December's steps to success

I am really glad I started noting all the little things I have been doing to invest in my future in Children's Illustration. I feel worlds away as a result and really pleased with all I have done last month during the busy Christmas season. The bulk of December was spent on the business and research side of illustrating however I did get a lot of writing and sketching done for my children's books. I know it sounds absurd working on a few at a time but I have all these ideas poring out and I need to develop them. It keeps me enthusiastic. Hopefully it will inspire someone or help others like myself with the same addiction. After reading join me for discussion on my Facebook Page.


Here are the steps I took
in December to advance my future in Children's Illustration:
  • Hours and hours of researching on the Internet.

  • Participated in Illustration Friday 4 times and blog posted 6 times. Blog hits for the month approx 1000.

  • Created Excel spreadsheet to keep track of web stats for blog and effect of posting.

  • Set up image morgue files and business files.

  • Filtered through older image with plan to work on them more and finish unfinished work.

  • Sorted image files more.

  • Using new resource cartooning books have done more sketching.

  • Working on character for 2 of the manuscripts.

  • Almost finished 2 manuscripts with illustration notes for 2 children's books (needs refining) and well into dummy book on one.

  • Tossing around illustrations for Indian Children's book. Idea there but manuscript not written.

  • Created an IDEAS book (small books to quickly jot down words and ideas as they come) Put one in my handbag, beside bed and on desk - titles, clever or quirky names lists ect.

  • Updated Bio on SCBWI.

  • WEBSITE: Updated website Added Nativity Christmas Card, Prehistoric records and shadow puppet to website, changed images to include promotional text. Created and uploaded contact sheet on website. Updated Bio/CV. Reviewed back end of websites. Checked ranking in search engines (doing really well on Google images for children's illustration or children's illustrator) Looking at back links and key words and phrases.

  • Reference Library books added:
  1. How to Write and Sell Greeting Cards, Bumper Stickers, T-Shirts and Other Fun Stuff- Molly Wigand
  2. Start & Run a Greeting Cards Business: Lots of Practical Advice to Help You Build an Exciting and Profitable Business. - Elizabeth White
  3. The Encyclopedia of Writing and Illustrating Children's Books: From creating characters to developing stories, a step-by-step guide to making magical picture books - Desdemona McCannon
  4. A Caldecott Celebration: Seven Artists and their Paths to the Caldecott Medal - Leonard S. Marcus
  5. You Can Write Children's Books - Tracey E. Dils
  6. 2011 Children's Writer's And Illustrator's Market - Alice Pope
  7. Illustrating Children's Picture Books: Tutorials, Case Studies, Know-How, Inspiration - Steve Withrow
  8. The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary - Sue Young
  • Monitor Calibration and colour references purchased:
  1. X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2
  2. Complete Color Index - Jim Krause
  3. CMYK 2.0: A Cooperative Workflow for Photographers, Designers and Printers.

No comments:



 
The Positive Spirit Blog