Sunday, March 14, 2010

Watercolour Demonstration by Malcolm Beattie


Sherbrooke Art Society had a watercolour demonstration by Malcolm Beattie, my former watercolour tutor on the 4th March. I always love watching Malcolm paint. I typically wanted to fly home and paint till dawn as it motivated me whenever I watch someone paint.

I took a few lessons with Malcolm about 10 years ago. I was struggling with this medium and was fortunate enough to time it when he was teaching the class about handling the paint, paper and pigment. Being able to judge the wetness of a watercolour paper and how the paint reacts to the different levels of wetness is critical to controlling this medium. Understanding how the pigment reacts and how to load your brush is also critical. Many people give up on watercolour because they fail to learn this and continue to struggle with the medium. Malcolm still teaches from his studio in Melbourne.


Malcolm fondly showing us his painting of his beloved Moodle

No comments:



 
The Positive Spirit Blog