Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An Impatient Child - Illustration


With a theme like impatience the possibilities were endless. I thought of so many scenarios it was hard to choose. I settled on a little boy busting to go surfing. I was going to have his mother running over to him in a desperate panic, however because he is unattended (except for his little sister), this scene creates a bit more tension.

Process:
I sketched the illustration in grey lead in my sketchbook and then traced it onto 300gsm watercolour paper and painted it in watercolour. I played around a quite a bit with the background as I was not happy with it. At first I had very little in the background except for a overhanging tree. I then added more background and a darker sky. I scanned this into Photoshop and eventually took the branches out and replaced the background completely. I also decided on a think bubble to help paint the picture better and so painted this onto a separate piece of watercolour paper. I scanned the bubble with the wave and superimposed it on the digital painting. Finally I duplicated the boy and popped him in the bubble with the wave. If this had of been commissioned work I think I would now repaint the illustration again to produce a new fresh watercolour with no digital painting.

7 comments:

Jack Foster said...

I was just thinking that if his mother looks out the window.....yikes! Great work. Nice detail and terrific idea!

Art Fan Ako said...

Scary for adults, fun for the kid! Nice piece!

Kayleen West Black said...

Thanks Jack,

I actually did consider putting a mother's horrified face in the window but it looks like the house next door as the swing set is of the backyard variety. If I had made the equipment more like park equipment I could have done this. I put the house in for scale to make the boy look dangerously high but also put in the fence. It goes to show how the thought process before an illustration is created need to really be thought out extensively. The illustration can evolve quite a bit from the original. I think if this was for a book I would make those changes though.

Art Fan Ako: Yes I think both kids and adults could relate to this situation. As a mum I felt like putting note on the illustration saying "children don't try this at home" LOL :-)

Shirley said...

Wow, this made me look at it again, and again...really fun (though worrisome!) illustration! Great job.

Cheryl Lynn said...

This is fantastic. A brilliant illustration. You are extremely talented and I'm sure the world of Children's illustration will be happy to receive your magnificent work.

Thank you for dropping by my blog and I hope you'll return. I plan to visit you again.

Have a great day.

Kayleen West Black said...

Thank you ladies. I really have a passion for illustration so Cheryl that comment is very encouraging. I am trying to dedicate as much time creating work while do my graphics job. I work from home so I fit it in when ever there is a moment.

Emily said...

hihi... what is life without some foolish impulses from time to time!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog