Thursday, August 13, 2009

I'm TRYING to walk the dog - Children's Illustration - Impatience

The digital sepia sketch created in Photoshop from my original pencil drawing.

Watercolour Illustration: I'm trying to walk the dog!


I can't leave this theme alone! It is one of the best I have played with. Yesterday I thinking about my silly Jack Russel when we try to walk her. She is so impatient to get going; she almost chokes herself. She pulls on her lead until she is out of breath and eventually realises we are not going anywhere until she settles.

Process:

I sketched the drawing in my sketchbook and printed it off, made some alterations and scanned it into Photoshop. Here I made a sepia tonal painting to get familiar with the subject and feel more confident before launching into watercolour. I traced the drawing onto watercolour paper before painting it this afternoon. Unfortunately the photo is not great being such dull light. This is one painting that actually looks a lot better in the flesh.

8 comments:

Navina said...

Very cute :-)

renatanunes said...

That's a great illustration! Love the colors!

Michelle Henninger said...

I love it! What a fantastic illustration!! She better hold on! Those are some powerful poochies!!

Thanks for sharing your process!

Cheryl Lynn said...

This is amazing! I love the little girl's exasperated expression!

Bravo, indeed!

Abigail said...

Cute!

D Hawk said...

haha I love this illustration! very comical!

Kayleen West Black said...

Thanks everyone. I am behind with the IF themes already trying to finish some commission work. I started one for wrapped but didn't get it finished in time!

Carole Poustie said...

I love your illustrations Kayleen. Great to meet you at the SCWBI gathering. Good luck with your dream - I'm sure you'll make it come true!

Carole



 
The Positive Spirit Blog