Sunday, July 19, 2009

A lesson about temper illustrated for children


Today I finished an illustration in Ilustrator CS3, inspired by the story of a boy with a very bad temper I recieved an email from a friend the other day. I was inspired to use it for my CRE Prep class so I re-wrote it for younger children and illustrated a book cover in colour. The pages will be in the form of a colouring book so the kids can read and colour in the pages. I will update my blog when I have more illustrations.

The story re-written:

There once was a boy who had a very bad temper. The boy had a very wise father.
One day the boy’s father said to him “Son I love you but when you loose your temper it worries me”. Then the father said “I want to help you with your temper.” So the father gave his son a bag of nails and a hammer and told his son to go and put a nail in the fence every time he lost his temper.
On the first day the boy nailed 37 nails in the fence. The boy was very tired.
During the next few weeks the amount of nails the boy had to hammer into the fence got less and less. The boy had discovered that it was easier to control his temper than to hammer the nails in the fence.
Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.
The father smiled as he was pleased. He then took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, 'You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same.
Then he said to him “When you say things in anger, it hurts people; it can leave a hole in their heart like the holes in the fence. Sometimes it won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the hole will still be there. Remember that friends are very special. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They listen to you, and they want to be loved.”
God's biggest command is for us to love him and to love others just like He loves us.


No comments:



 
The Positive Spirit Blog