Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Children's Illustration for today

It has been ages since I submitted to Illustration Friday and I have been itching to get into my painting more, but in particular Illustration, in fact this is the area I have recently decided to concentrate on. I have always wanted to illustrate children’s books so now I am going to devote as much time as I can to getting some work up and pursuing this professionally. Although I have yet to finish this Illustration (will do over the next few days) this is my Illustration for the theme Tango. I started with a traditional sketch in pencil and have painted the illustration in Photoshop. I love this method best of all and I think this style of work will influence my portfolio. Stay tuned!
Note 22.07.09: To see an update for this Illustration click HERE

The colour Illustration so far. You should see a notable difference in the final Illustration.


This is my original sketch. The reason it is brown instead of black (grey lead pencil) is that I took a photo at night. It turned out to be an advantage as I preferred the sepia bas in Photoshop - Happy accident.

P.S

In my last post I said I have finished the Illustration for the cover of The boy with a very bad temper:, however I forgot part of it and I am not happy with the mouth. I will re-work the Illustration and post the finished one.

9 comments:

nessadee said...

very cute!

Samantha Webb said...

its so cute, i love her dress! x

Jack Foster said...

sometimes (a lot of times) I make a mistake and it turns out to be the thing that works the best. Happy accident to you too...nice work! love your characters!

Art Fan Ako said...

Lovely giraffes in clothes!

Mahesh Pujari said...

It so lovely...

Indigene said...

I love her eyes and dress! Quite lovely!

zainah said...

I love this! giraffes have always been one of my favorites, and this is lovely! :)

Kayleen West Black said...

Thank you everyone for your comments and to those who checked out the final version of my Illustration. I have taken the time to look at all your blogs and comment. It is great to see what everyone came up with. It was a limited subject and some are so original. It is inspiring. Looking forward to the next theme on IF.

Caroline said...

Fun idea - gosh it must be difficult for giraffes to tango - so long legs and necks to twist!



 
The Positive Spirit Blog