Friday, January 16, 2009

One of the biggest secrets to motivation.

I have had an absolutely awesome start to 2009. I am charged and ready for the best year of my life. The past few years have been challenging and very busy and this Christmas break I decided to get stuck into a life plan and act on it.
Over the past 18 months or so I have been steadily going through my home trying to rid myself of clutter and unnecessary attachment to “stuff”. I have managed to rid myself of a truck load of things….Don’t ask me how it fitted into my home!
I bought a book titled “It’s all too much” by Peter Walsh for a gift at Christmas for someone who seriously needed to de-clutter and organise their environment. I ended up reading it myself. This book gave me the additional leverage to get really serious with my own environment. Consequently I have spent 5 days (so far) over my break, going through each room, every cupboard and corner of my home, removing anything that was not necessary in my life. Filling my garbage bins and frequently visiting the local Opportunity Shop.
How good does it feel?...Absolutely fantastic! The freedom you get from condensing your “stuff” and having room for everything is awesome and can you believe it, I even have several empty drawers and cupboards. Next on the agenda is my shed and the spare room (or should I say store room?) and I am done – whoo hoo I say!
In his book Peter says that – ‘You must first "imagine the life you want to live", so you can then ensure that everything in your home will help move your life vision forward.’
I realised I had emotional attachments to some items of the past that I put off sorting through and have been able to go through it and deal with and move on. This is a bondage that I need to be free of. Memories should be treasured but I agree that holding onto some things is not so healthy.
Peters also points to the reality of what is important to you and what is not. He says ‘If you value an item, it should get honour and respect - not be buried in dust or shoved in a plastic bag somewhere.’ Think about this one for a minute. How much stuff do we collect that we hardly look at. How much stuff have we stored away that will be lucky to see the light of day and how well do we look after it? It may be safe and dry but are we really appreciating it? Do we really need it?
Yes this has been a healthy start to 2009. I have a little time off for rest and when I get back to full-time work I know all that my living and working environment has been de-cluttered, re-organised and my mind can concentrate on other things. 'Out of sight / out of mind' has been turned into 'Out of site and GONE FOR GOOD!'…Hallelujah

8 comments:

Lauren said...

That's awesome Kayleen!

so glad you are doing so well... I see you are playing on twitter, what's it like?

Kayleen West. said...

Pretty cool. You know how I love new IT toys. See what happens with it. Some useful links on it too. Hope God is raining blessings on you too. We must catch up soon. Maybe next week before holidays end

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Can you come to my house? :)
Just kidding, I know I need to de-clutter my own house. Thank you for such a motivational post!
Joan

Kayleen West. said...

hahaha Joan Joan, Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog :-)

If I didn't live so far away I would take up your offer to vist.
If it makes you feel any better... It took 43 yrs to get this organised LOL

Jean Levert Hood said...

Excellent post, Kayleen! Sounds like your life is pretty awesome. I have also been decluttering and tossing. I love it - soooo freeing!
The best to you for 2009!

Kayleen West. said...

Hahaha welcome to Club Awesome Jean :-)

Dave said...

Must be something in the air, I too had a big clean out in the first week of 2009.
With grim determination I attacked the studio and storage room. the kids didn't realize just how big the place was :-)
Donated a whole lot of frames to artists who could actually make use of them. Don't know why I was holding on to styles I haven't used for a couple of years or more.
Have a great one.

Kayleen West. said...

Hi Dave,
I agree it is amazing how big a room looks when it is de-cluttered. Even small rooms can feel spacious once de-cluttered. Only a couple years back I owned more furniture than I needed and I really didn’t have enough room for it. I got rid of the excess and I don't miss it. I definitely don't miss walking around things all the time. Stepping into or passing through a room is the idea NOT avoiding obstacles as you look for a landing pad? LOL



 
The Positive Spirit Blog